Summer 2017 0
Winter 2016 1
Summer 2016 1
Winter 2015 1
Summer 2015 1
B.E. Second Semester All Branches (C.B.S.)
Time: 2 hours
Maximum marks: 60
1. Question No 1 is Compulsory.
2. Attempt any three from remaining fix questions
3. All questions carry equal marks.
4. Figures to the right indicate full marks.
5. Atomic weights : H=1, C=12, S=32, N=14, 0=16 , C1=35.5, Ba=137.3.
1. Answer any five from the following:- [15M]
a) Why impure metal corrodes faster than pure metal under identical conditions?
b) What is HCV and LCV? Mention their units.
c) Give composition, properties and use of Wood’s metal.
d) Define the terms : –
i) Composite materials
ii) Matrix phase
iii) Dispersed phase
e) Explain ‘Use Catalyst, not stoichiometric reagents’ principle in green chemistry.
f) State characteristics of good paints.
g) 2.2 gm coal was heated in Kjeldahl’s flask and ammonia gas evolved was absorbed in 45ml of N/5 H2 SO4. The excess acid required 35ml N/5 KOH for neutralization calculate % of Nitrogen.
2. a) Explain the mechanism of following types of corrosion :- [6M]
i) Pitting corrosion
ii) Galvanic corrosion.
b) With neat labelled diagram, explain fractional distillation of crude oil. [5M]
c) Calculate V. Atom Economy for the following reaction with respect to Allylchoride. [4M]
3. a) A fuel sample has the following composition: H2 = 50%, C2 H2 = 20%, CO = 8 %, CO2 = 1% and rest is nitrogen. Calculate the volume of oxygen and air required for complete combustion of 5m3 of fuel. [6M]
b) Explain conventional and Greener route for synthesis of indigo dye. Mention the green Chemistry principle involved. [5M]
c) Discuss any four factors influencing rate of corrosion. [4M]
4. a) What are alloy steels? Explain heat and corrosion resisting steels. [6M]
b) What is the principle of catholic protection? Explain sacrificial anodic protection method. [5M]
c) Explain sandwich panel composites with suitable diagram. [4M]
5. a) White informative note on Biodiesel. [6M]
b) What is powder metallurgy? Explain any two methods for production of Metal powders. [5M]
c) Mention important applications of composite materials? [4M]
6. d) What are metal coatings? Mention the names of various methods of application of metallic coatings. [5M]
b) A coal sample contains, C = 80%, O = 3%, H = 7%, S = 3.5%, N = 2.1% and Ash = 4.4% Calculate the GCV and NCV of given coal sample. [5M]
c) Write a note on [5M]